My quest to find hangers led me today to a little store that sells plastic goods off of Santa Lucia Dr; a place I was told about last year but only just found. It's a hodge podge of random items, and it's fantastic! The daughter of the shop helped me as I muddled through with a series of pantomimes and spanish descriptions (hanger isn't exactly top of any vocab lists in spanish classes), and as she led me to the cash register where her mother was working, I asked her the word in Spanish.
Me: Como se dice este?
Her: Percha.
Me: Percha!!
Her: with a strange look because I was maybe a bit to excited about that Si. Es dieciséis cincuenta.
Mother: in Spanish Say it in English!
Her: she got flustered and awkward all of a sudden, insisting she couldn't, and finally decided on: uno seis punto cinco cero (with a laugh)
Mother: Sixteen!
Her: with an 'oh right!' expression Sixteen
Mother: in Spanish This is what I'm sending you to high school for?
I left the shop then, and couldn't stop laughing, mostly because I'm pretty sure I've had countless of these types of exchanges with my mother as well . . . and she didn't have to pay for my high school like most do in Antigua!
And now I can finally hang up my clothing! I feel so victorious, haha!
In other news, two of my best friends arrive in two days to spend their Spring Break with me!!
I'M SO EXCITED I CAN HARDLY BREATH!!

No comments:
Post a Comment