I’m
swinging gently in a hammock, looking out onto a view that I can’t believe is
now the backdrop to my living room: two volcanoes on one side and one on the
other, slopping gently together, with several small pueblos nestled in the
valley. Last night, the scene was mesmerizing, partly because I was so severely
exhausted that the twinkling lights hypnotized me, and partly because I’ve
never seen villages from so high, except perhaps from an airplane.
Sing, sing,
sing by Benny Goodman, one of my favorites, is playing, offering a more festive
sound than would be expected to such a slow, idyllic morning.
Yesterday
was a bit of a disaster as far as travelling goes, pero vale la pena.
All was
well until Miami, where my flight was delayed an hour and a half because the
plane needed a new tire. Slightly concerned that I would be missing my
rendezvous with the other English teachers arriving at the same time, I sent an
email to Earth Lodge, my home for the next six months, explaining my delay. Not
six minutes later, I received an email back telling me not to worry, the others
were delayed as well, and we would still be picked up when we arrived- but I
received that message this morning, because my phone decided it would be fun to
die at that moment- even though I had plenty of battery left. Le sigh.
Anyway,
long story short, and many recitations of Philippians 4:6-7 later, I made it
through customs, and met Mario, who was holding a sign to find me. I swear,
I’ve never been so happy to see my own name in my life.
But why am
I starting with the anxious moments? The travelling had beauty in it too.
On that
same flight from Miami, I met and then serendipitously sat across the aisle
from an older Puerto Rican gentleman, who told me all about his country and his
travels. He was talkative, and got our small section interacting in one manner
or another- the Swedish woman behind me who spoke some English and no Spanish,
the Guatemalan man next to her who spoke no English, the bilingual Guatemalan
woman next to me with her small daughter. He warned me that I will fall in love
with a Latino because they are more amoroso, not stiff and cold like Americans.
I told him my mother feared the same thing, which he found incredibly amusing.
We spoke in Spaniglish, on and off for the flight. When we landed, he gave me
his card and told me if I ever come to Puerto Rico, he would be a guide and
tell me where to go and what to see.
My delayed
flight still got in almost two hours before the others, so when I finally left
the airport, Mario bought me a coffee at Burger King and we chatted for a
while. He doesn’t speak very much English, so our conversation was almost
exclusively in Spanish, and I found myself thinking, perhaps for the first time
I can do this. Guatemala is
fascinating; I cannot wait to explore all the places he mentioned.
Finally,
the Houston flight arrived, and I met Becca, my roommate and fellow teacher,
Salina, the woman who interviewed and hired me for the position, and Salina’s
husband and two small children. Becca joined Mario and I and we began the drive
to Earth Lodge.
The drive
from Guatemala City took longer than the expected twenty minutes because we hit
rush hour, but it was a relief to leave the city behind. I love this country,
but her capital…. not so much. The car can only go so far as El Hato, the
village where I will be teaching, and there was a bit of a trek down the
mountain to make it to the lodges. It’s steep, and coupled with our heavy
luggage and lack of visibility as night was now upon us… well, let’s just say
it was lucky I only fell once.
Dinner was
waiting for us and we met the other staff: Emma and Jonathon, the couple who
started the English program in El Hato and will be running EL when Drew and
Bri- the owners- have their second child in a few weeks, Carrie and Lewis, a
couple from England who are only here two more weeks, Sophie, a wonderful
Frenchwoman who speaks four languages. The food here, all vegetarian fare, is incredible!
Becca and I
found our room in the staff area- it’s large and comfortable, if barren. We
bonded over convincing a huge red moth to leave our room by luring it outside
with our combined flashlights, and made friends with a well fed orange cat who
decided, in the middle of the night, to let himself into our room out of the
rain and sleep with Becca. A fear of all things insect could never survive
here, but none of them seem too menacing yet.
Becca and I
have ESL training this afternoon, so we’ll get to see the school!! We start
shadowing our classes tomorrow, this morning, they[re letting us relax, unpack
and catch up on sleep.
I’ll try
and start taking pictures soon, though I doubt they’ll be able capture how
astounding this place is.
This is not real life. Tis a stolen
season.
I love reading about your adventures-good luck with the teaching and keep blogging...;). Xoxoxo
ReplyDelete