
Julie and I are currently enjoying the sauna that is her room. It seems her family is unaffected by the heat…we’re just the weak gringas. To think, some people pay for the luxury of a sauna while we get to enjoy it for free. We’ve seriously contemplated finding our bathing suits, but that’s probably not appropriate family room attire.
Don Miguel, her host father, has been telling us jokes that we don’t understand, but he thinks that he’s hilarious, so we’ve been laughing appreciatively. His grandson, Gabriel, is the cutest thing, a shy six year old boy. It has started thundering, so hopefully that means the breeze will pick up.
Wow, I sound spoiled. Truly, I wouldn’t take ac right now even if it was offered.
Today was lovely; I’m absolutely in love with my classes, so that switch didn’t take long :)
I’m absolutely amazed at how much Joan knows about literature…it’s insane. He’s legitimately a literature teacher with all he knows, I feel so lucky to have this class with him! We’re studying three time periods in literature, one for each week we’re here. I had him take me through a timeline today, from the Renaissance to today, in periods of latino literature, because it’s different from English lit.
Modernismo is not the same thing as the English Modernism. Modernismo is before World War One and coincides with Realism, Naturalism and Surrealism. Modernismo is unique to Latin-American, it’s a movement that’s limited to poetry. The equivalent of Modernism is Vanguardia, but the Spanish Vanguardia has two eras istead of splitting into Modernist and Contemporary Literature as we do. Our Contemporary Lit is linked to the second half of Vanguardia, as is a latino literature called Magical Realism (realismo mágico) that spanned from 1950-1970.
I’m addicted!
Julie and I left Conversa at one thirty today so we could exchange money at the Bank, which closes earlier than we usually leave Conversa. It seemed strange to be in the town so early. Conversa offered Yoga today, which I’m a bit disappointed to have missed, but I’m planning on making the 50 minute walk to Conversa at 6:30 tomorrow. One of the students here from Ohio walked it this morning and raved about it, so I’m eager to try. I like climbing these mountains, I wish Florida wasn’t so flat.
Anyway, tengo tarea, I have to read three poems (Modernismo) for my literature class tomorrow!
Choa mis amigos!
Lluivia
Don Miguel, her host father, has been telling us jokes that we don’t understand, but he thinks that he’s hilarious, so we’ve been laughing appreciatively. His grandson, Gabriel, is the cutest thing, a shy six year old boy. It has started thundering, so hopefully that means the breeze will pick up.
Wow, I sound spoiled. Truly, I wouldn’t take ac right now even if it was offered.
Today was lovely; I’m absolutely in love with my classes, so that switch didn’t take long :)
I’m absolutely amazed at how much Joan knows about literature…it’s insane. He’s legitimately a literature teacher with all he knows, I feel so lucky to have this class with him! We’re studying three time periods in literature, one for each week we’re here. I had him take me through a timeline today, from the Renaissance to today, in periods of latino literature, because it’s different from English lit.
Modernismo is not the same thing as the English Modernism. Modernismo is before World War One and coincides with Realism, Naturalism and Surrealism. Modernismo is unique to Latin-American, it’s a movement that’s limited to poetry. The equivalent of Modernism is Vanguardia, but the Spanish Vanguardia has two eras istead of splitting into Modernist and Contemporary Literature as we do. Our Contemporary Lit is linked to the second half of Vanguardia, as is a latino literature called Magical Realism (realismo mágico) that spanned from 1950-1970.
I’m addicted!
Julie and I left Conversa at one thirty today so we could exchange money at the Bank, which closes earlier than we usually leave Conversa. It seemed strange to be in the town so early. Conversa offered Yoga today, which I’m a bit disappointed to have missed, but I’m planning on making the 50 minute walk to Conversa at 6:30 tomorrow. One of the students here from Ohio walked it this morning and raved about it, so I’m eager to try. I like climbing these mountains, I wish Florida wasn’t so flat.
Anyway, tengo tarea, I have to read three poems (Modernismo) for my literature class tomorrow!
Choa mis amigos!
Lluivia
No comments:
Post a Comment