Julie mentioned the other day that she could live here, in Santa Ana. We had just returned from this past weekends’ adventures, and I immediately disagreed- after seeing the countryside and the mountains between here and Poas, I know there are other places in Costa Rica where I would rather spend the rest of my life. But looking back, I could live here. There are always going to be stunning places, visually spectacular places, and those draw me in- but Santa Ana has a quaint, attractive charm. I feel safe here.
Students were playing at the music school, and I altered my route to wander by. A woman noticed my lingering as she passed and told me that the school teaches all kinds of music, she mentioned folk music and specific instruments- the girl we were listening to was playing a xylophone type instrument that’s evidently very traditional. The music it created was very sweet.
Today was quiet; others complained of slipping into a typical Monday down, but I was lucky enough to not catch it.
We’ve started Realism in my Literature class- we read a short story today “A la deriva”; which is basically about an indigenous man who is bit by a snake, goes thorough a series of tortuous reactions to the bite, and dies alone in his canoe as he lets the river carry him towards help. It’s a riot to read, let me tell you- but it fits into the morbid-ness of realism quite well. We’ll end the week with Magical Realism and dose of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, which makes me happy.
Culture went really well today, Emilce was quite happy with me because I was an active part of the conversation, and I was happy with me because I didn’t freeze up over answering questions or translating in my head. The two of us bonded a bit by gossiping over the boys while they were gone for a bit; her opinions amuse me greatly.
I spent some quality time with Bruto, the family husky, this evening. He- like every other dog here- barks at anything that moves, but he’s not nearly as intimidating as he pretends to be.
But thn again, few things, animals, people are.

He’s sweet, but Mike is still my favorite… and would be much easier to smuggle out… Every morning he joins me as I get ready for school, and he’s usually lounging on my bed when I return home in the afternoons. Oh to live the life of a cat!
Mi madre aqui and I had a wonderful chat this evening. She told me all about her family, and the surrounding gossip. Her grandmother had twenty children- ten of whom are still alive today- so there’s quite a bit of information to be had. She and her mom have a wonderful relationship; they still have breakfast together every morning. I love how close families stay here, it makes me wish mine wasn’t spread so far out across the country.
I’m heading out to meet up with the group; I think we’re going to another little city nearby this evening.
Beautiful night!
Lluvia
No comments:
Post a Comment